What is Microneedling?
A device in the shape of a pen is used with one-time-use cartridges with micro 12 pin needles made of stainless steel to puncture the skin ranging all the way down to 3.0mm into your skin. The micro wounds trigger your body’s wound-healing response, which then stimulate collagen production resulting in brighter, glowing skin. The needles can even break up scar tissue, which is why they are commonly used for post-acneic scarring to help smooth out skin texture.
A hyaluronic acid serum is used to add glide and microchanneled into the wounds to reach further down into the skin, resulting in more efficient healing and brightening effects.
SOURCE: DR. LANCE STETTTERFIELD
What Microneedling May Improve:
- Fine lines
- Thin skin
- UV skin damage
- Uneven skin texture
When do Results Kick in: About 4-6 weeks after your first treatment, depending on your skin’s renewal cycle. (As we age, our skin renews itself slower.)
Results Last: Up to 6-8 months, especially when completed in a series of 3-6 treatments.
What is the difference between Microneedling, Nanoneedling?
Microneedling refers to all needling at any depth. Usually, most microneedling treatments require numbing cream because they go down deeper into the skin. Redness, bleeding and swelling is common, and expect up to 5-7 days of downtime.
Does it Hurt? With numbing, it can range from painless to uncomfortable.
With Nanoneedling at Skin High, our needles do not go as deep and don’t require numbing cream. There is no down time with minimal flushing and redness. Pinpoint bleeding may occur but is extremely rare.
Does it Hurt? We don’t numb the skin, but it can range from painless to uncomfortable.
Is Going Deeper More Effective?
In the past, many clinics believed needling deeper into the skin produced better results, but there is more emerging evidence, including our own statistics and patient records showing better results at shallower depths, completed regularly and paired with proper skincare.
How to Prep Your Skin for Microneedling / Nano Needling
- Stop using retinol, exfoliants, strong AHA’s and BHA’s for 24hrs prior
- No Ibuprofen 24hrs prior
- Arrive with clean, no makeup skin
Microneedling Aftercare / Nano Needling Aftercare
- No makeup for 24-72hrs (depends on depth of the needling)
- No prescription face creams and high strength retinols, AHAs, BHAs for 1 week.
- No abrasive scrubs and stronger physical or chemical exfoliants for 7 days.
- Change to a new pillowcase tonight.
- Avoid touching your face for the rest of today.
- Keep skin moisturized by applying moisturizer twice daily with a strong hyaluronic acid or beta glucan-based serum/moisturizer to assist with healing and collagen production.
- Use a moisturizing mask 1-2x per week
Who This Treatment is Not For:
- General contraindications for any facial treatment including active skin conditions being treated or should be treated by a physician
- Keloid scars
- Pregnant or nursing women
- Accutane – must wait 6 months after last treatment
Not sure if Microneedling / Nanoneedling is for you?